philipp's weblog header image

Preview version of Mozilla XForms for Firefox 4 available

January 4th, 2011 · 6 Comments · English, XForms

A lot of improvements went into Firefox 4 that also affected compatibility with the Mozilla XForms extension. We have been trying to keep up with the developments and with Beta 8 of Firefox 4 there should be no more breaking changes. To make sure we didn’t miss any important regressions over the previous versions, I put together a preview release of Mozilla XForms for Firefox 4, which is available for download now:

It requires at least Firefox 4 Beta 8 and works on Windows (x86) and Linux (x86 and x86_64).

Please test this version with your forms and report any problems you find! It helps us to deliver a great version of the extension for Firefox 4!

An (incomplete) list of changes is available.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Tags:

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 Chris H // Mar 19, 2011 at 10:03

thank you for continuing this work on XF for FF

have downloaded latest for FF4 – lets see how it goes as you say.

cheers

• 2 GaryLASQ // Mar 27, 2011 at 03:19

Sweet! I’m using FF4 with XForms!!
    So far so good… Thanks!

• 3 Cell // Apr 12, 2011 at 18:15

Excelent work! thanks

• 4 GaryLASQ // Jun 14, 2011 at 06:38

Phillip, do you think this add-on (for FF4) will ever make it into the official Add-Ons list?

I guess XForms is truely dead (especially on the client). :(

I just don’t understand this. XForms is so easy to use and is great for directly manipulating XML files.

• 5 Philipp // Jun 20, 2011 at 09:58

Well, it could make to addons.mozilla.org (AMO) if there would be enough resources to do it. I’m currently rather busy and don’t have time for it, if you or someone else is willing to jump in and fix some remaining bugs in the current Firefox 4 version, I’ll happily help to get it to AMO.

I would not say XForms on the client is dead, but it’s use is certainly limited to certain special cases.

• 6 Chris H // Jun 30, 2011 at 18:56

hello – me again

FF just moved to FF5 – and its broken xforms addon :-(

and i’ve read Philipp’s comments above about lack of time :-( :-(

This is one of the best xforms i’ve used as i’ve said. I wish it were possible to get it supported again. I wish I could help out – but I have limited knowledge – if someone could get me up to speed, I may be able to help somewhere I guess.

Alas, I will keep fingers crossed!