philipp's weblog header image

Hooray! XForms for Firefox 3.5 is here!

July 15th, 2009 · 13 Comments · XForms

It took a bit longer than expected, but thanks to the great patience Doron, Aaron and bz had reviewing the last critical bug, it is finally here:

The XForms AddOn for Firefox 3.5. Download it now while it’s fresh :-)

The XPI contains binary components for Windows (32bit) and Linux (32 and 64bit).

Remember: this is an experimental development snapshot, so don’t be surprised if it kills your cat. But it should still be more stable than the previous release version, as we fixed some crash bugs.

I also added a bit of documentation on how to build Mozilla XForms from source at the Mozilla Developer Center.

Enjoy!

Tags:

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 dat // Jul 27, 2009 at 22:11

great! thanks, philipp

• 2 GaryLASQ // Aug 3, 2009 at 02:55

Wow! This is fantastic! Why isn’t it in the Add-ons section on the official Firefox site?

Thank you Phillip. Great to see that someone is still keeping this implementation of XForms alive.

• 3 GaryLASQ // Aug 3, 2009 at 02:58

Oops. I mean “Thank you philipp”, not Phillip. :-)

• 4 Philipp // Aug 3, 2009 at 10:21

It’s not on addons.mozilla.org because it is not yet an official release. We’re working on it, but it will take some more time to get it ready.

• 5 Saeid // Aug 20, 2009 at 20:17

It doesn’t work on a Mac! Any hope to see a Mac version coming soon?

• 6 Philipp // Aug 30, 2009 at 00:49

no, I don’t have a Mac so I cannot do the build. If anyone else can do the build I’ll be happy to include it in the XPI package.

• 7 Arius Vistoon // Oct 13, 2009 at 15:10

wow,
    great !!!
    i ‘ll try it now ;)

• 8 Anne-Gaelle Colom // Nov 26, 2009 at 00:37

Thank you so much. You have saved me and my students :-) I can teach XForms this year with Firefox 3.5. I have been teaching it for 4 years and and I am desperate for XForms to work with all standard browsers as well as mobile browsers. It will really pick up then (Fantastic potential for Mobile applications…)

• 9 Deepak Tewani // Dec 2, 2009 at 11:29

Sir,
    Thanks for developing plugin of Xforms for Mozilla Firefox 3.5.
    I am working on Xforms from past 7 months and i still feel this one of the best technology for making forms and saving data offline.
    With all respect , I want to ask you a simple question that, ” IS there any future of XForms in the international Community of Web Forms and People of different companies are really interested in using this technology or not?

• 10 Philipp // Dec 2, 2009 at 11:49

First of all, I didn’t develop the plugin, I made only some small contributions.

People are using this technology, but mainly in places where “XForms” does not appear in the marketing material. As it turned out, XForms are too heavy for the average web developer and they are not needed. But there are many business use cases for XForms, be it in healthcare, government or other larger businesses, where often paper forms are still used. XForms allows forms to be used in mobile applications, printed on paper or filled out over the Internet – there is no other form technology I know that can be used on that many targets.

• 11 Rajamani Marimuthu // Mar 16, 2010 at 08:41

Hi Philipp!!!

i need a clarification about this Firefox xforms plug-in license … Please tell us what license they are using for this plug-in….

By
    Rajamani marimuthu
    XForms and XRX team

• 12 Philipp // Mar 16, 2010 at 10:51

The right place to ask these kind of questions is the Mozilla XForms mailing list (https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-xforms).
    XForms is under the regular Mozilla tri-licence MPL/GPL2/LGPL2, as noted in every source file.

• 13 Rajamani Marimuthu // Mar 17, 2010 at 07:02

hi mr. Philip !!!
    Actually i asked mr Aaron !!! he said , for that philip can answer .. that’s y i asked in your blog…